Academic Profile at a Glance
- Graduated from Washington University in St. Louis in 1981 (A. B. Chemistry)
- Graduated from Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine in 1986 (M.D.)
- Residency in Anatomic Pathology, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO
- Fellowship in Dermatopathology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Certified in Anatomic Pathology and Dermatopathology, 1991
- Director, Harvard Dermatopathology Training Program, 1993-2003
- Founded Harvard Dermatopathology Update CME Course, 1995-2013
- Scientific co-Chair, CALGB 500105 Melanoma clinical trial
- MGH PI, Harvard Skin SPORE (Specialized Program of Research Excellence) 2003-2013
- Investigations in cutaneous B-cell Lymphoma led to revised classification and definitions of histological and clinical criteria for diagnosis
- Investigations in melanoma led to revised criteria for diagnosis, changes in analytical detection platforms for sentinel lymph nodes and revised management algorithms
- Co-Author WHO Classifications of Tumours, Pathology & Genetics, Skin Tumours & WHO Classification of Tumours of Hematopoetic and Lymphoid Tissues.
- Atlas of Essential Dermatopathology. Szyfelbein KM, Primiani A, Duncan LM. Springer, London, UK
- WHO Cutaneous B-cell Lymphoma Discussion Group/Panel Member, Zurich, Switzerland
- Keynote speaker, Australasian Dermatopathology Society Meeting, Perth, Western Australia
- Keynote speaker, XXX Reuniao Anual de Dermatologistas Latino-Americanos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Editorial Board, Journal of Cutaneous Pathology
About Your Organization/Department
- The MGH and Harvard have been Dr. Duncan's work home for over two decades, during that time her colleagues have included Dr. Wallace Clark, Dr. Raymond Barnhill, Dr. Phillip McKee, Dr. George Murphy, and Dr. Martin C. Mihm, Jr. As a leader of the academic Dermatopathology group at the MGH, Dr. Duncan provides expert diagnostic care, outstanding teaching and cutting edge research, moving the field forward. This past year the Departments of Pathology and Dermatology built an independent national laboratory: MGPO Dermatopathology Associates. This enterprise, separate from the academic unit, has established a high volume, efficient clinical resource for Dermatologist clients nationwide.
Active member of United States Masters Swimming; enjoys the camaraderie and challenges of team sport and early morning training. Dr. Duncan's husband has participated in the Maui Channel swim and the Waikiki Rough Water swim.
Most Important Achievement
- Navigating the balancing act of parenting, maintaining good health and providing the highest quality patient care is a daily achievement.
- The MGPO Dermatopathology Associates is a freestanding independent laboratory formed by a joint venture between Mass General Departments of Dermatology and Pathology. This enterprise is dedicated to providing accurate diagnosis and quick turnaround for our clients throughout the nation. www.Mydermpath.org
- Diagnostic Dermatopathology: Correlating Clinical and H & E Findings Is Not Enough
- Vasculitis and Vasculopathy: Case-Based Analysis (10/24/2013)
- Combined Melanocytic Nevi: Mimics of Melanoma (10/23/2013)
- AJCC Staging and Reporting Melanoma (10/22/2013)
- Problems in Reporting Melanoma (Panel Discussion) (10/21/2013)
- Cutaneous Lymphoma and Mimics (10/21/2013)