- Specialist in Anatomical Pathology. Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona.
- Doctoral thesis: "Expression of cytokeratins in alterations of cornification and cutaneous epithelial neoplasms", Faculty of Medicine, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (1990), with the qualification of: Excellent "Cum Laude".
- Pathologist at the Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol (Barcelona) since 1991, Head of section from 2009 to 2016
- Chair in the Department of Anatomical pathology of the Hospital Universitari General de Catalunya. Grupo Quiron Salud from 2016 to the present time.
- Associated professor at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (2010-2016)
- Aggregate professor at the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya (2017-present time)
- Evaluator of the Technical Council of Medicine. Service for accreditation of continuing medical training of the Council of Medical Colleges of Catalonia.
- Director of two doctoral thesis with the qualification of: Excellent "Cum Laude". The last of them with international mention and Prize and awarded with the PhD Extraordinary Award (2019)
- Ex-Vicepresident of the International Society of Dermatopathology
- Author of more than 220 peer-reviewed paper, I have given more than 300 lectures and organized of more than 70 courses and meetings, including the XXXI Symposium de la Sociedad Internacional de Dermatopatología (Barcelona. October, 2010) and the International Courses of Dermatopathology from the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology.
- Pathologist, MD, PhD
- Vice-president for ISDP (2017-18) and member of the Board of Directors for ISDP (2017-2022)
- Editorial boards of AJDP, Dermatopathology, Patología, Actas Dermosifiliograficas
- One of my native languages is Catalan, which we speak at home.
- After my residency, I spent three months in Japan (at Kurume School of Medicine) with Professor Masamichi Kojiro, where I studied liver cancer. From him, I learned how to lead and guide a team, and I fell in love with Japan.
- I had the opportunity to start my PhD in Dermatopathology during the second year of my Anatomic Pathology residency. Balancing the experiments with learning general pathology and dermatology was challenging. Fortunately, a young dermatologist involved in the research was always ready to help me. After 34 years of marriage, we still make a great team.
- Proud mother of three boys (Xavier, Albert and Guillem), living across the world - London, San Francisco and Madrid-. Now raising our tiny Maltese (Smoothie) with my husband Lluis. I never imagined that a dog could become part of the family.
- Skydiving last year after being forced to give up horse jumping due to an injury.
Author of over 216 peer-reviewed articles, mostly on dermatopathology. Citations: 6500, Index h: 43, Index i10: 109. Some of my most cited papers in the last years are:
Co-Editor with Eduardo Calonje of a special issue on Dermatopathology for the journal Diagnostic Histopathology (In press, 2023)
- Fernández-Figueras MT, Malvehi J, Tschandl P, et al. Position paper on a simplified histopathological classification of basal cell carcinoma: results of the European Consensus Project. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2022 Mar;36(3):351-359.
- Fernández-Figueras MT, Carrato C, Saenz-Sardà X, et al. MicroRNA31 and MMP-1 contribute to the differentiated pathway of invasion -with enhanced epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition- in squamous cell carcinoma of the skin. Arch Dermatol Res. 2022 Oct;314(8):767-775.
- Fernandez-Figueras MT, Puig L. The Role of Epithelial-to-Mesenchymal Transition in Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Epithelial-to-Mesenchymal Transition in Cutaneous SCC. Curr Treat Options Oncol. 2020 Apr 30;21(6):47.
- Fernandez Figueras MT. From actinic keratosis to squamous cell carcinoma: pathophysiology revisited. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2017 Mar;31 Suppl 2:5-7.
- Fernández-Figueras MT, Carrato C, Sáenz X, et al. Actinic keratosis with atypical basal cells (AK I) is the most common lesion associated with invasive squamous cell carcinoma of the skin. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2015 May;29(5):991-7.
Author of several chapters in Dermatopathology books such as:
- Blistering Disorders and Acantholytic Processes Affecting the Epidermis of the Vulva & Inflammatory Dermatoses Affecting the Dermis or Both the Epidermis and Dermis of the Vulva. In: Hoang MP, Selim MA (ed.). Vulvar Pathology. New York: Springer, 2015. ISBN 978-1-4939-1806-5.
- Immunohistology of Luekemia Cutis and Histiocytic Tumors. In: Plaza JA, Prieto VG (ed.). Applied Immunohistochemistry in the Evaluation of Skin Neoplasms. Springer nature, 2016. ISBN 978-3-319-30588-2.
- Epithelial or Squamous Neoplasms. In M. Hoang (Ed.), Immunohistochemistry in Diagnostic Dermatopathology: Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 2017. ISBN-10: 1107150167
- Spongiotic and Psoriasiform dermatitis. In M. Hoang (Ed.) Hospital –Based- Dermatopathology (pp 5-40). Springer Nature. ISBN: 978-3-030-35819-8
- Grover Disease with Focus on New Histopathological Patterns. In Franco Rongioletti, Bruce R. Smoller (Ed.), New and Emerging Entities in Dermatology and Dermatopathology: Springer Nature 2021. ISBN978-3-030-80026-0
- WHO classification of skin tumors 5th edition 2023 (Beta version ahead of print)
- Tumor Budding in Cutaneous Neoplasia (10/26/2023)
- Misleading Clues: How Red Herrings Mask the Diagnosis: Panel (10/26/2023)
- Basil Cell Carcinoma: Classification, Variants and Differential Diagnosis (10/25/2023)
- Anogenital Dermatopathology: A Diverse and Challenging Spectrum (10/23/2023)
- Viral Infections in Dermatopathology: A Comprehensive Review (10/23/2023)