Michiya Nishino, M.D., Ph.D. serves as the Director of Head and Neck Pathology and Program Director of the Cytopathology Fellowship at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and he is Associate Professor of Pathology at Harvard Medical School. He completed residency in anatomic and clinical pathology as well as fellowship training in cytopathology at Massachusetts General Hospital. His primary clinical and academic interests include surgical pathology & cytopathology of head&neck, thyroid, and salivary gland tumors, as well as the application of molecular testing in these settings.
· Diplomate, American Board of Pathology: Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
· Diplomate, American Board of Pathology: Cytopathology
· Richard B. Cohen Anatomic Pathology Teaching Award (Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center): 2016, 2018, 2021.
· Associate Editor, Cancer Cytopathology.
· Editorial boards: Seminars in Diagnostic Pathology, Cytopathology, Journal of the American Society of Cytopathology, Head & Neck Pathology.
- · Ohori NP and Nishino M. Follicular neoplasm of the thyroid revisited: Current differential diagnosis and the impact of molecular testing. Advances in Anatomic Pathology 2023; 30(1):11-23. Doi:10.1097 / PAP.0000000000000368.
- · Hall EA, Hartzband P, VanderLaan PA, Nishino M. Risk stratification of cytologically indeterminate thyroid nodules with nondiagnostic or benign cytology on repeat FNA: Implications for molecular testing and surveillance. Cancer Cytopathology 2023 Feb 15. doi: 10.1002/cncy.22684. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36792948.
- · Guzmàn-Arocho Y and Nishino M. The discordant biomarker dilemma: What are the diagnostic implications of oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas with discrepant p16 and HPV results? Cancer Cytopathology 2022. Doi:10.1002/cncy.22616. Online ahead of print.
- · Nishino M, Bellevicine C, Baloch Z. Molecular tests for risk-stratifying cytologically indeterminate thyroid nodules: an overview of commercially available testing platforms in the United States. Journal of Molecular Pathology 2021; 2(2):135-146. doi:10.3390/jmp2020014.
- · Nishino M and Jacob J. Invasion in thyroid cancer: Controversies and best practices. Seminars in Diagnostic Pathology 2020. 37(5):219-227. doi: 10.1053/j.semdp.2020.02.003.
- · Nishino M. How is Noninvasive Follicular Thyroid Neoplasm with Papillary-like Nuclear Features (NIFTP) shaping the way we interpret thyroid cytology? Journal of the American Society of Cytopathology 2019, 8:1-4.
- · Nishino M (2019). Molecular Diagnostics in Thyroid Cytology. In: S. Roy-Chowdhuri et al. (Eds.), Molecular Diagnostics in Cytopathology. Basel, Switzerland: Springer Nature Switzerland AG.
- · Nishino M. Sustainable cytopathology in the precision medicine era: exploring new sources for molecular testing in thyroid cytology specimens. Cancer Cytopathology 2019; 127(3):143-145.
- · Nishino M and Nikiforova M. Update on molecular testing for cytologically indeterminate thyroid nodules. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine 2018; 142(4):446-457.
- Digital Slide Seminar: Lessons Learned from Pitfalls in Head & Neck Pathology (06/22/2023)
- Pattern-Based Approach to Sinonasal Pathology (06/22/2023)
- Spitting Images: Diagnostic Mimics in Salivary Gland Pathology & Tips to Resolve Them (06/19/2023)
- Surgical Pathologists' Toolkit for Diagnosing Thyroid Nodules (06/19/2023)
- Squamous Lesions of the Oral Cavity and Oropharynx: Practical Principles for Pathologists (06/19/2023)